Winter Is Coming! Get Your Vehicle’s Heater Serviced by a Mechanic in New Palestine, INOctober 18, 2017 1:59 pm Leave your thoughts
It’s fall, which means winter is on its way. For your comfort and safety on the road, now is the best time to make sure that your car’s heating functions are operating correctly. Keep your eyes and ears open for potential problems with your heater, and know when it’s time to seek the services of a professional mechanic in New Palestine, IN:
- Leaky radiator: A very common cause for a broken car heater is a problematic radiator, which is a part that needs both water and cooler fluid to function properly. If either fluid leaks out or is not present, the radiator will stop working. This will have an effect on the vehicle’s heating and air conditioning systems. And although the engine will continue to work, such conditions can lead to costly damage.
- Thermostat issues: As the engine warms up, the thermostat opens and closes circuits in the cooling system. Problems occur when the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. It stops the coolant from circulating, meaning your car’s heating system won’t function properly.
- Plugged heater core: Coolant passes through the heater core to send warm air through the vents—you’ll find this part under the dashboard on the front passenger side. Should the heater core become plugged, the coolant will back up and cause problems with the heating system. A plugged heater core must be replaced.
- Dirty system: To maintain a proper temperature, the cooler fluid needs to be able to flow around the different working car parts. Problems arise when the pipes and ducts that carry the coolant get blocked up, because the heater will stop working. Accumulated grime, grease and dust can also jam an internal blower fan, which can damage a car heater. Regular maintenance can uncover jammed ducts; your mechanic can clean them for you.
When to visit the auto shop
Cold winter weather calls for using your vehicle’s heater, whether you are running a quick errand or going on a long trip. When you have heater problems, not only will your drive be cold and uncomfortable, but it can be unsafe as well.
- If the heater is not working, then your windshield will remain icy and foggy, because there is no hot air blowing toward it to melt the ice.
- The thermostat is an essential part of your heating and cooling system. It maintains a comfortable temperature in the passenger area, and also keeps the vehicle’s working parts at a safe temperature.
- A leak can be a simple fix, like a loose clamp, or a significant problem, like a busted engine cylinder head gasket. The latter can cause serious damage to your engine.
- Regular auto service and inspections are the best ways to make sure your heating system is in good working order. Maintenance can prevent engine damage and breakdowns, thus saving you from costly part repairs and replacements.
- Basic heater maintenance includes checking hoses and belts and adding clean coolant. Your mechanic can do all this during a general inspection.
Need a mechanic in New Palestine, IN for heater maintenance? Call the experts at Auto Air & Heating, Inc. today to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Mechanic
This post was written by Writer