Holiday road trips can be a wonderful way to bond with family and see beautiful winter scenery en route to your destination. Unfortunately, driving in winter conditions can also be dangerous. Cold temperatures, snow, rain and ice can all contribute to an increased likelihood of mechanical problems in your vehicle. Because of this, it is not uncommon for drivers to find themselves on the shoulder of the road during a major winter storm as a result of a breakdown.
When this happens, it can be a stressful experience—not to mention a dangerous one. Thankfully, there are things that you can do to ensure that you are prepared if you end up stuck on the side of the road during stormy winter weather:
- Check conditions ahead of time: It’s important that you are prepared for whatever the weather throws your way, and it can be helpful to know what you might encounter when you are out on the road. Always check driving conditions on your route so that you know what to expect. You should also identify a couple alternate routes you might take in case there are road closures or accidents that obstruct your initial route.
- Pack emergency provisions: It’s a good idea to have some extra food, water, blankets and first aid supplies packed in your car. These provisions can come in handy if you find yourself stranded during a blizzard, especially since it can often take much longer to get assistance due to hazardous road conditions.
- Keep flashlights on hand: Being stuck in a blizzard becomes even more dangerous if you don’t have any daylight. If you need to check your engine, change a tire or leave your car to flag down someone for help, it’s useful to have a few powerful flashlights on hand.
- Bring chains: Even if it isn’t snowy or icy the moment that you leave, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t bring chains along. Winter weather is often unpredictable and can shift from clear to stormy very quickly. Make sure you have your chains on hand and practice putting them on your vehicle if you aren’t familiar with them.
- Know whom to call: Once you have broken down on the side of the road, you should call for help as soon as possible. You should have the name and number of multiple towing companies. In addition, it’s a good idea to have the name of a local mechanic in New Palestine, IN who can help you with any necessary repairs.
When you need an auto shop that you can trust for reliable repair services, give Auto Air & Heating, Inc a call. We have been a trusted provider of automotive repair and maintenance services since 1982 and we have maintained a reputation for outstanding service and quality work. If your car breaks down this winter, you can bring it in to our team of experts to get help from a professional mechanic in New Palestine, IN. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Mechanic
This post was written by Writer