What Goes Into Winterizing Cars in New Palestine, IN?December 2, 2019 10:32 pm Leave your thoughts
What is car winterization in New Palestine, IN? In a nutshell, winterization is a vehicle service that prepares it for seasonal driving conditions. It ensures you that your car is up to par and able to take on wintertime challenges, such as snow- or ice-covered roads, heavy rain and hail storms. It also gives you peace of mind. Below are some tips for winterizing cars before the season sets in:
- Check the battery: Battery power decreases as temperatures drop, meaning it will take more power to start your car on cold winter days. A car battery presenting with problems puts you at risk of breaking down on the side of the road in extremely cold temperatures. Other parts that can leave you out in the cold this winter include worn belts, hoses, cables, wires and spark plugs. Replace them if needed.
- Inspect the brakes: The onset of cold weather is not going to destroy your brakes, but it doesn’t hurt to have them looked at. Book an auto appointment for a thorough brake system inspection to ensure the best performance possible this winter.
- Switch to winter tires: Switching to winter tires is not a must, but they will perform better than all-season tires in winter conditions. Let’s say you live in an area where cold winter temperatures drop below freezing on a regular basis. In situations like this, you want to be driving on tires that can grip snow-covered or icy roads. Winter tires are the safest choice for anyone who regularly experiences harsh winter weather.
- Check the tire pressure: Cold weather will cause tires to lose air pressure. For this reason, you must frequently check the tire pressure in each tire throughout the winter months. Refill your tires as needed to reach the appropriate air pressure as indicated in your owner’s manual or on the placard in the driver’s side door jamb.
- Replace windshield wipers: Auto experts recommend replacing your windshield wipers at least every six months, or installing winter wipers if you live where winter temperatures drop down low. These wipers come with specialized rubber that keep ice from collecting on the wiper blades. Because they are heavier than regular windshield wipers and the weight can damage the wiper motor, be sure to remove them come spring. Also, replace your windshield wiper fluid often and use fluid formulated for winter conditions.
- Test the heater and defroster: It gets wildly cold in some parts of the country during the wintertime. If you live in such an area, triple-check that your car’s heating system is functioning properly before winter arrives. It’s a matter of personal safety and comfort. Working window defrosters are also important. Drivers have little to no visibility through fogged-up windows, which is downright unsafe.
Don’t let hazardous driving conditions dampen your spirits this winter. If you’re looking for an auto shop experienced in winterizing cars in New Palestine, IN, look no further than Auto Air & Heating, Inc. Call us today to learn more or schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Winterization
This post was written by Writer