The main function of a car battery is to start the engine. If the battery is bad, it may be unable to perform this function. In that way, it affects the engine performance.
What about in other ways? How exactly does the car battery affect the engine? Is it possible that a weak battery affects performance overall?
Here’s what you need to know.
A weak battery affects performance of major components
While a car’s engine performance is not affected by a weak battery, other parts of the car do suffer from a weak battery. When these components suffer, the overall performance of the vehicle suffers. The following features are often negatively affected by a weak battery:
- Alternator: A weak battery can shorten the life of the alternator. The alternator has to work harder than usual if the battery is not supplying enough power. This wears out the alternator, so it does not last as long.
- Gas mileage: When the alternator works harder, the engine uses more gas than usual. This is due to increased exertion that is required because the components are working harder than they should.
- Internal components: A weak battery affects performance by causing damage to the engine’s internal parts. The low voltage causes the temperature to go up, and overheating can result, which causes damage to the engine parts.
- Accessories: Features such as power windows, heaters, dashboard lights and other powered accessories do not perform as well when the battery is weak.
- Cylinders: If your battery is not functioning properly, the fuel injectors may not deliver enough fuel to the cylinders. This can cause a reduction in vehicle performance.
- Computer: A weak battery puts additional strain on the vehicle’s electrical and mechanical systems. This can cause the car’s computer to perform poorly, which results in diminished overall performance of the vehicle or some of its functions.
How to avoid poor engine performance
Because a weak battery affects performance, it is important to keep your battery in top condition. Keep in mind that car batteries typically last three to five years. If your battery is nearing the end of its lifespan, have it replaced before it negatively affects the vehicle’s other components.
Watch for signs that it is time to replace your battery. If your car is slow to start, this may be an indication that you need a new battery. If your accessories are not functioning properly, this could also be a sign that it is time for a new battery. Backfiring and check engine lights are also warnings that you may need a new battery. If you notice any of these signs, contact a mechanic right away to test your battery and replace it if needed.
We know batteries
To keep your engine in top performance, partner with the pros at Auto Air & Heating, Inc. Our expert mechanics deliver top service to keep vehicles running smoothly and reliably. Contact us today with any questions about battery or engine performance or to schedule your next service. Reach our experienced team at 317-861-4898.
Categorised in: Batteries
This post was written by Writer